Slow-cooked Short Ribs with Mushroom Sauce on Creamy Polenta
The ultimate comfort food! Meltingly tender beef in a rich mushroom sauce on top of warm, creamy polenta! Add a full-bodied red wine and your dinner is complete!
- 5-7 qt 5-6 Qt Soup pot or Dutch oven
- 4 lbs Meaty beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 Ribs Celery diced
- 1 Large Carrot peeled and diced
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 16 oz Small cremini mushrooms
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 15-oz Can Diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup Beef broth or more if needed during the cooking time
- ½ Cup Dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp Flour dissolved in ¼ cup cold water
- Minced flat-leaf Italian parsley to garnish
- 3-4 Cups Chicken stock
- 2¼ Cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups Polenta
- ½ Cup Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
To prepare the short ribs:
- Preheat oven to 325°. Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ribs and brown on all sides. Remove the ribs and reserve. Add the celery, carrot, onion, mushrooms and garlic to the pot and saute until tender. Add tomatoes, broth, wine, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, rosemary and bay leaf. Return the ribs and any accumulated juices to the pot. Heat to boiling. Cover and transfer to the oven. Roast about 2-3 hours until ribs are very tender. Check after 2 hours to see if additional broth needs to be added. To thicken sauce, remove the cooked ribs, place the pot on the stove over medium high heat. Bring liquid to a boil, whisk in the flour slurry and cook and stir until the mixture thickens. Serve with ribs over polenta.
To prepare the polenta:
- In a large saucepan bring the chicken stock and whipping cream to a full rolling boil. Slowly whisk in the polenta. Reduce heat and continue stirring. When the mixture thickens, but is still pourable, whisk in the parmesan cheese and the butter. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!